Great Ormside is only 24 miles SE of Ivegill.

"Ormside is a corruption (as most of the names of places and persons have been corrupted in ignorant times) of Ormes-head, or (which is the same) Ormesheved: And had its name probably from some owner of the name of Orme." *Nicolson et al 1777 p513

"Ormside Hall.
The seat of the Barton family until they sold it, temp. Queen Elizabeth [meaning 'in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I', i.e. 1558-1603], to Sir Christopher Pickering, who died in 1620, from whom it passed to Cyprian Hylton, who died in 1652. The history of the building, which clearly started as a small peel tower in the 14th century, is unknown. Since 1811 the embattled roof has been taken off and a slated gable erected in its place. The Hall faces the church and forms three sides of a quadrangle, there are a number of arched stone passages, but the rooms possess no features of interest." *Curwen 1932 pp189-194





external image 383197_3961e9f4.jpg
Ormside Hall (from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/383197)



Bartons of Ormside


*Nicolson et al 1777 pp515-517 reveals quite a lot about the Bartons of Ormside:

In 1406 a John de Barton and his wife Alice "made a settlement of the manor" (meaning, they bequeathed it?)

In 1422 a "Nicolas de Radcliff and Elizabeth his wife (daughter of John de Derwentwater) held the manor of Ormeshead" but in 1451 there is a letter of attorney "to deliver seisin to John de Barton and Katherine his wife of lands in Ormeshead, Great Salkeld and Great Asby."

In 1452 John de Barton and his wife Katherine own Ormside. At this time there was a dispute over a right of way through their lands (p328).

In 1504 Robert Barton is described as "lord of the manor of Ormeshead" [Ormside] (p286).

In 1528 Robert Barton "of Mekil Ormeshead esquire makes a settlement of his manors of Mekil 1 Ormeshead and Littel Ormeshead, and his lands there, as also at Great Asby, Patterdale 2, Sandwyk, and Pullo 2, in the county of Westmorland, and his lands in Yorkshire and Northumberland, upon his cousin Henry Barton of Chempsforth 3 in the county of Essex gentleman, remainder to Thomas Barton of Warcop 4, remainder to Andrew Barton of Smythylls 5 in the county of Lancaster, remainder to John Barton of Whenby 6 in the county of York in tail male, remainder to his own right heirs. And the said Henry covenants, that he shall not be married nor affied[?] to no woman by the sacrament of matrimony, without the assent and consent of the said Robert."

  1. 'Mekil' is a Middle English word meaning 'great', which now persists mainly in the Scots phrase 'many a mickle maks a muckle' (or its more sensible form 'mony a little makes a mickle').
  2. Andrew Lancaster points out some striking connections about Patterdale and Pullo - see below.
  3. 'Chempsforth' might be Chelmsford?
  4. Warcop is just a few miles E of Ormside Hall.
  5. Perhaps one of the Bartons of Smithills Hall?
  6. Perhaps related to Thomas Barton of Whenby who married Alice Brathwaite of Burneside Hall? (See *Transactions CWAAS v4 1904).

This last section is particularly interesting, since it states (in some cases implies) that the Bartons of Ormside were related to other Barton families in Lancaster, Essex and York.

In 1537, "there is a release by Isabella Hylton widow of Richard Hylton of Burton, one of the sisters and coheirs of the late Robert Barton of Ormeshead gentleman, to Robert Pulleyn gentleman, and Thomas Hilton gentleman son and heir of the late Robert Hilton of Burton gentleman, of all her right in the lands descended to her from her said brother in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Northumberland. Witness (amongst others) Henry Barton of Ormeshead." [Also mentioned on p613]

In 1538, "there is an award between Henry Barton of Ormeshead gentleman, and divers other persons, concerning lands late belonging to Robert Barton deceased ; wherein it is awarded, that Henry shall enjoy the manor of Mikil Ormeshead, and lands in Littel Ormeshead and other places."

In 1541, "there is an exchange of lands at Ormeshead, between Roland Hartley and Henry Barton of Great Ormeshead gentleman."

"Finally, in the reign of queen Elizabeth [1558-1603], Thomas Barton (probably the next in the intail) sold the manor of Great Ormeshead, to Sir Christopher Pickering knight, of the family of the Pickerings of Crosby Ravensworth."





Ormside Church


*Curwen 1932 pp189-194 doesn't list any Bartons amongst the list of those buried in the churchyard at Ormside, although there is one Robert Burton (1591-1635).


external image 237258_181deced.jpg
St James Church, Ormside (from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/237258)


The Breeks


*Nicolson et al 1777 pp515-517 says:
"In the said manor of Ormside is a single hall house called BREEKS, about half a mile south from the church. There is a freehold demesne belonging to it, formerly sold off from the rest of the demesne by Thomas Barton esquire to his brother William; whose son Robert Barton sold it to John Pattenson attorney at law in Penrith, who had a son Thomas, who had a son Lancelot, father of the present owner Thomas Pattenson of Melmerby esquire"

*Curwen 1932 pp189-194 also mentions this house, albeit briefly:
"Breeks Hall.
Situate half a mile south from the Church is now a farm house."

There is indeed a Breaks Hall , though it is in fact closer to two and a half miles south of the church in Ormside. Possibly it had to be moved because of the railway?





*Transactions CWAAS v5 1905 p197 contains an extract from the accounts of Anne, Countess of Pembroke (whose chief residence was in Appleby just north of Ormside) which mentions some Bartons of the Breeks:
"[dated October 1673] Given then to Thomas Barton youngest sonne of Mr Robert Barton of the Breeks Two Shillings and six pence."



Hartsop Hall & Barton parish connections


*Nicolson et al 1777, p407 and *Curwen 1932 pp256-277 suggest that the Bartons of Ormside (John de Barton and Alice, perhaps) came from Hartsop Hall. This seems like it may have been mainly inferred from similarities in coats of arms.

However Andrew Lancaster shrewdly points out that Hartsop Hall is close to Patterdale (see map below left) and might be considered part of it, and could be the lands mentioned above that were given by Robert Barton to Henry Barton of Chempsforth. 'Pullo', mentioned in the same passage, may be Pooley Bridge (see map below right), which is surrounded by a Barton hamlet, a Barton Hall, a Barton House, a Barton Park and even a Barton Fell, all sitting in the large Barton parish. Might this be the family that lent their name to that entire area? Andrew himself thinks it unlikely, as parish names are usually much older than family names.



All the above locations are marked on the map below (zoom out to see the more distant Yorkshire & Essex ones), along with the extent of the Barton parish (green outline):

View Ormside Barton Connections in a larger map


Scaife-Barton marriage


Andrew Lancaster also draws my attention to Pedigrees recorded at the heralds' visitations of the counties of Cumberland and Westmorland (1891?) ed. Foster (online here), which mentions a marriage between Rowland Scaife (1537-1618) of Winton and Anne daughter of ???? Barton Esquire of Ormeside Hall. A genealogy of Rowland Scaife's father Robert Scaife (~1515-1591) is given at gennotes.150m.com/rscaife, from which Rowland's dates are taken, though it gives his wife's name - presumably incorrectly, as Parton. She might be a daughter of the Robert Barton above who 'settled his manors' in 1528, although why would she still be there in ~1565? Alternatively she might instead be related to 'Henry Barton of Chempsforth', who inherited the property from Robert.