The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland” (1777), by Joseph Nicolson, Richard Burn, William Nicolson, Daniel Scott, & Henry Hornyold-Strickland

This is a huge and detailed summary of the recorded history of the two counties that form modern-day Cumbria. It is in two lengthy volumes: volume 1 is available online here; volume 2 is now available as a free ebook from here. Passages of interest from volume 1 are excerpted below:





xlix-li



"In the next place, within a quarter of a year after this, we meet with a list of the gentlemen of both counties called out by Sir Thomas Wharton upon some further service of the borders, which shews who were the principal gentlemen of that time subject to border service, and what was the proportionable value of their respective estates: viz.
The names of such as were sent for by Sir Thomas Wharton's letter 34 Hen. 8 1543.
Sir William Musgrave, 60 horse and 40 foot (besides Bewcastle).
Sir Thomas Curwen, horse at his pleasure.
Sir John Lowther, 100 horse and 40 foot.
William Pennington, all his tried horfemen.
John Lamplough for his father, ten horse.
John Leigh (besides Burgh horse and foot) 10 horse.
John Thwaites, houshold servants.
John Skelton of Branthwaite, 4 horse.
Thomas Dykes, 4 horse.
Richard Eglesfield, 6 horse.
Alexander Appleby, 2 horse.
Mr. Latus for the lord of Millum, 60 horse.
William Porter, 2 horse.
Thomas Salkeld of the Whitehall, 4 horse.
Antony Barwis, 2 horse.
John Senhouse, 4 horse.
William Asmotherley, 2 horse.
John Swinburne, houshold servants.
Anthony Highmore, 2 horse.
Robert Ellis, 2 horse.
Robert Lamplough, houshold servants.
William Sands and Edward Berdesey, for the lord of St. Bees, 10 horse.
Robert Brisco, horse and foot.
Cuthbert Hutton, 6 horse and 10 foot.
Edward Aglionby, horse and foot.
Thomas Dacre of Graystock, horse and foot.
William Skelton, 6 horse.
Thomas Dalston (besides Carlisle) 10 horse and 20 foot.
Thomas Blenerbasset for Gilsland, horse and foot.
Christopher Threlkeld, 4 horse and 6 foot.
John Musgrave, for Bewcastle, horse and foot.
William Pickering, for Barton, Martindale, Paterdale and his own tenants, 20 horse and 20 foot.
William Vaux, 4 horse and 6 foot.
Richard Blencow, 6 horse.
Richard Button, 4 horse.
Richard Warwick, horse and foot.
Lancelot Lowther for Derwentwater, all horsemen
Tenants of the Bishop and College, all horse.
The lordship of Holme, all tried horse.
Westmorland:
Sir James Leyburne, 20 horse.
Walter Strickland, 200 horse.
The son of Sir Jeffrey Middleton, 20 horse.
Anthony Ducket, 20 horse.
John Preston, houshold servants.
William Gilpin, 6 horse.
Thomas Sandford, 80 horse and 20 foot.
John Warcop, 6 horse.
Lancelot Lancaster, 20 horse and 20 foot.
Christopher Crackenthorp, 10 horse.
Hugh Machel, 4 horse.
Henry Shaw, 2 horse.
James Pickering, 6 horse.
Thomas Blenkinsop, 120 horse,
Robert Hilton, 2 horse.
Robert Pullen, 2 horse.
Richard Salkeld of Rosgill, 20 horse and 20 foot.
Richard Dudley, 6 horse and 6 foot.
Thomas Wybergh, 6 horse and 6 foot.
Thomas Fallowfield, 4 horse.
Robert Cleburne, 6 horse and 10 foot.
Barnaby Warcop, 2 horse.
Ambrose Machel, 2 horse.
Simon Slingsby and Thomas Lambert for Culgaith, 6 horse.
Edward Birkbeck, 2 horse
Thomas Lough, 4 horse.
Henry Barton, 2 horse.
Robert Warcop, 4 horse.
Lancelot Wharton, 10 horse.
Richard Salkeld of the Grange, 4 horse.
Thomas Roofe, 2 horse.
What kind of achievements they performed in this peculiar kind of warfare in the Borders, we are informed from Haines's state papers; p. 51, 54."



p286



"There is yet extant a grant under the signature of this Henry lord Clifford, which was found amongst the evidences belonging to the lords of the manor of Ormeshead, dated Nov. 4. in the 20 Hen. 7. [1504] whereby the said Henry lord Clifford, Westmorland, and Vescy, in consideration of the releasing by Robert Barton lord of the manor of Ormeshead [Ormside] all right and title to an Intack called Luckmanflat, grants and releases to the said Robert Barton and his heirs, all that ground, feeding, pasture, and common, from the said Intack dike nuke over the street england [England: an old word, signifying ‘over against’] Stanbarr leas dike, joining to a pasture at the head of Stanbarr gill, and from thence england the same to Ravenstandale way, and over it till england the outside of Bradmyre, as the sike descendeth from towards the Rutter unto a great stone lying without the dike, where the lands of the aforesaid lord and the lands of the said Robert and the Rutter bounders meet. In witness whereof, the said lord patteth both his seal and sign manual (thus):"





pp327-328



"In the 31 Hen. 6. [1452] on a dispute about a way to the water at Rutter-beck, which had been granted by the lords of the manor of Ormeshead to the tenants of the chantry of St. Mary in Appleby, between Sir John Lambe, chaplain, otherwise called the chantry priest of the chapel or chantry of our lady in Appleby, and Robert Langhorne, Thomas Sowerby, John Warthecupp, and Robert Smith, for themselves and all the residue of the said Sir John's tenants in the town of Appleby, of the one part, and John Barton esquire lord of the manor of Ormside, of the other part; the same was referred to the arbitration of Sir William Stowe, knight, and commander of the mount of St. John, Sir Robert Lowther of Lowther knight, Richard Ristwald of Appleby gentleman, and Rowland Barton of Newcastle upon Туne clerk: Who awarded, that the said Sir John's tenants in Appleby shall have easment and liberty of driving their kine (but no other cattle) with a herd, at noon time, during the summer season only, over the west end of Braidmyre sike, and so over Braidmyre to Rutter-beck; and the said herd to drive them within the compass of a shot of a burdbolt of the Birk-hill dike; and the said kine to stay in the said Rutter-beck, until the said herd might set two specks on his shoes; and then to drive them back again the same way : and the said tenants to pay for the same, on the feast of St. Dunstan [May 19] yearly, for every cow 2d.
About 2 years after, the said John Barton esquire made a rental for the watergate of the cows of the tenants in Appleby; by which it appears, that the number of tenants was 77, and the number of cows 95."



p349



"In the 30 Hen. 8. [1538] On a dispute between Hugh Machell of Crakanthorp gentleman, and John Richardson of Scattergate, a commission was issued out of chancery, directed to Ambrose Machell, Henry Barton, and Thomas Rose, gentlemen, to make inquiry and settle the dispute about a house in Batelbarghe"




p405



"The CHURCH [of the parish of Barton] is a low but large building, having two rows of pillars in the body of it. In the middle, between the body of the church and the chancel, is a fair stone tower, but with low, flat battlements.

Over the porch, on the outfide, cut in stone, is an escutcheon with 3 harts heads"




p407



"Concerning the manor of Barton; we find several of old time of the name de Barton, who seem to have been a considerable family in this parish [the parish of Barton], but not lords of any of the manors that we can find.
In the 15 Ed. 2. [1322] Robert de Barton was one of the jurors upon the inquisition on the forfeiture of Roger lord Clifford.
And in the 19 Ed. 2. [1326] Robert de Barton was knight of the shire for Westmorland.
And there was a family of Bartons at Ormshead; whose arms were, Azure, a bend within 3 harts heads Or; which seems to argue that they sprung from Hartsop in this parish.
The lords of this manor of very old time were the Lancasters barons of Kendal; one branch of which family (as we have shewed) settled at Sockbridge. But the manor of Barton went out of the name of Lancaster, to the Multons of Gilsland. With the heiress of Gilsland it came to the Dacres.
Thus in the 36 Ed 3. [1362] by an inquisition after the death of Margaret de Dacre (who was the said heiress) the jurors find, that the said Margaret held, together with Ralph de Dacre her husband, the manor of Barton.
And so it descended, together with the castle and manor of Dacre, in the eldest hereditary line of the Dacres until the reign of king Charles the second [1649-1651,1660-1685], when Barbara and Anne daughters and coheirs of Thomas earl of Sussex sold the same to Sir Christopher Musgrave of Edenhall baronet, who again sold the fame to Edward Hassel esquire the present owner.
In the 17th year of king John [1216], William de Lancastre, baron of Kendal, obtained a grant of a market at Barton."

See also *Transactions CWAAS v6 1882 p105 and *Transactions CWAAS v5 1905 p88 (regarding the coat of arms) and *Transactions CWAAS v5 1905 p63 (regarding Robert de Barton).




p408



"At the head of the said water, above Patterdale, lies the manor of Hartsop, probably so denominated from abounding with deer anciently.

Hartsop hall, the ancient manor house, is a little old building, wherein there is nothing very remarkable, save that in the parlour in the plaister there is an escutcheon of three harts heads caboshed, the same as over the porch at Barton church [Machel]. Which are undoubtedly the arms of the family that this place belonged to, which probably ended in a daughter married into the Lancaster family; for their arms are quartered with the Lancasters of Sockbridge at Sockbridge hall.

Hartfop is of the marquis fee, parcel of the barony of Kendal aforesaid. Thus amongst the escheats in the 12 Eliz. it is found, that the manors of Hartsop and Strickland Roger, Ladyford, and certain lands in Skelsmergh were holden of the marquis of Northampton in socage, and by the yearly rent of 26 s 8 d, by Edmund Lancaster. And in the 15 Ja. after the death of the said Edmund, the inquisition finds, that he died seised of the premisses, holden as aforesaid, and that Lancelot Lancaster was a son and heir, being then of full age."




p513



"Ormside is a corruption (as most of the names of places and persons have been corrupted in ignorant times) of Ormes-head, or (which is the same) Ormesheved: And had its name probably from some owner of the name of Orme. Orme, governor of Appleby castle (father of Cospatric), who lived in the reign of king Henry the second, we have often had occasion to mention. That this place had its name from him, we cannot affirm : but rather it seems to have been from some other of the name before that time."

"In 1406, one of the trustees in a settlement of the manor of Ormesheved made by John de Barton of Ormesheved and Alice his wife, was Richard de Colleby, parson of the church of Ormesheved."



pp515-517



"In the 8 Hen. 4. [1406] John de Barton and Alice his wife made the settlement aforesaid of the manor of Ormesheved.
In the 10 Hen. 5. [1422] Nicolas de Radcliff and Elizabeth his wife (daughter of John de Derwentwater) held the manor of Ormeshead, in right of the said Elizabeth.
In the 30 Hen. 6. [1451] there is a letter of attorney from Robert Warcop junior, Thomas Barton of Ormeshead, and Christopher Sourby chaplain, to Richard Martendall of Patterdale, to deliver seisin to John de Barton and Katherine his wife of lands in Ormeshead, Great Salkeld and Great Asby.
In the 31 Hen. 6. [1452] Thomas Ratcliffe held a moiety of Ormeshead immediately of Thomas de Clifford, called Ormeshead Vescy, because holden heretofore by John Vescy; and John Barton held the same of Thomas Radcliffe.
In the same year there was a dispute between John Barton of Ormshead esquire, and the chantry priest of the chapel or chauntry of our lady in Appleby, concerning a Watergate and common of pasture on Ormshead moor; which was referred to Sir William Stowe knight and commander of the mount of St. John, Sir Robert Lowther of Lowther knight, Richard Ristwald of Appleby gentleman, and Roland Barton of Newcastle upon Tyne clerk: Upon which they made an award; the particulars whereof we have inserted in treating of the chantries at Appleby.
In the 18 Hen. 8. [1526] Cuthbert Radcliffe held the manor of Ormshead, and Robert Barton held the same of the said Cuthbert, as is supposed (so the inquisition expresseth it) as of the heirs of Derwentwater.
In the 20 Неn. 8. [1528] Robert Barton of Mekil Ormeshead esquire makes a settlement of his manors of Mekil Ormeshead and Littel Ormeshead, and his lands there, as also at Great Asby, Patterdale, Sandwyk, and Pullo, in the county of Westmorland, and his lands in Yorkshire and Northumberland, upon his cousin Henry Barton of Chempsforth in the county of Essex gentleman, remainder to Thomas Barton of Warcop, remainder to Andrew Barton of Smythylls in the county of Lancaster, remainder to John Barton of Whenby in the county of York in tail male, remainder to his own right heirs. And the said Henry covenants, that he shall not be married nor affied[?] to no woman by the sacrament of matrimony, without the assent and consent of the said Robert.
In the 29 Hen. 8. [1537] there is a release by Isabella Hylton widow of Richard Hylton of Burton, one of the sisters and coheirs of the late Robert Barton of Ormeshead gentleman, to Robert Pulleyn gentleman, and Thomas Hilton gentleman son and heir of the late Robert Hilton of Burton gentleman, of all her right in the lands descended to her from her said brother in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Northumberland. Witness (amongst others) Henry Barton of Ormeshead. [This release is also mentioned on p613]
In the 30 Hen. 8. [1538] there is an award between Henry Barton of Ormeshead gentleman, and divers other persons, concerning lands late belonging to Robert Barton deceased ; wherein it is awarded, that Henry shall enjoy the manor of Mikil Ormeshead, and lands in Littel Ormeshead and other places.
In the 33 Hen. 8. [1541] there is an exchange of lands at Ormeshead, between Roland Hartley and Henry Barton of Great Ormeshead gentleman.
Finally, in the reign of queen Elizabeth [1558-1603], Thomas Barton (probably the next in the intail) sold the manor of Great Ormeshead, to Sir Christopher Pickering knight, of the family of the Pickerings of Crosby Ravensworth.
The said Sir Christopher Pickering died without ever having been married; and gave the manor of Ormside to Frances his natural daughter, who was married to John Dudley of Duston esquire, of the family of the Dudleys of Yanwath: Who dying without issue by her, she married again to Cyprian Hilton of Burton esquire, who had with her the manor of Ormside: Rutter, which was part of the demesne, was sold to Mr. Williams of Johnby in Cumberland.
She had to her said husband Cyprian Hilton, a son Christopher ; who had a son Cyprian; who had a son Christopher; who had a daughter Mary, married to Thomas Wybergh of Clifton esquire, in whose time the manor was sold to George Stephenson of Warcop esquire, who died intestate and without issue, and his estate descended to two coheirs, sisters of his father John Stephenson gentleman, and upon the partition thereof this manor came to the share of John Fawell of Temple Sowerby gentleman, grandson of Anne the elder sister, who in the year 1770 sold the same to Sackville earl of Thanet.
In the aforesaid north ile of the church is the burying-place belonging to the hall; wherein is one large gravestone, upon which are three inscriptions on so many plates of brass; viz. i. The epitaph of Sir Christopher Pickering knight, who died Jan. 14, 1620; having been five times sheriff of Cumberland. 2. Of Cyprian Hilton esquire, who died Dec. 22, 1652. 3. Of Cyprian Hilton esquire, who died Dec. 27, 1693; aged 34: and left three sons and five daughters.
The hall is an ancient tower house, built like the red of the old houses in this country, as a place of defence. There is a well that springs under the kitchen within the house.
The tenants have been mostly purchased free, probably when part of the manor and demesnes were sold off.
In the year 1689, behind the church in the river Eden, on the south side next the hall, were found several vessels of brass, some of which seemed to have been gilt. The river exposed them by washing away the soil. They seemed not to be ancient. Upon one of them were the letters F D, supposed to stand for the name of Frances Dudley, widow of John Dudley aforesaid, and daughter of Sir Christopher Pickering. They were buried probably during the civil wars in the reign of king Charles the first.
Little Ormside, about half a mile south-east from the church, contains about eight or nine families. The tenants seem to have been purchased off from the manor of Ormside at large, and are now within the manor of Gathorne in the parish of Asby. But most of them, in like manner as of Great Ormside, have been infranchised.
In the said manor of Ormside is a single hall house called BREEKS, about half a mile south from the church. There is a freehold demesne belonging to it, formerly sold off from the rest of the demesne by Thomas Barton esquire to his brother William; whose son Robert Barton sold it to John Pattenson attorney at law in Penrith, who had a son Thomas, who had a son Lancelot, father of the present owner Thomas Pattenson of Melmerby esquire."





pp400-414


TRANSCRIPTION OF WHOLE SECTION IN PROGRESS..

"PARISH OF BARTON

I.

The parish of Barton, at leaft a great part of it, anciently belonged to the barony of Kendal, and was in the hands of the Lancasters barons of Kendal; a branch of which family removed into this parish, and settled at Sockbridge, and continued there for many generations, until that branch ended in daughters, and the posterity of the eldest of those daughters enjoy the manor of Sockbridge, and divers other possessions in the said parish to this day. It seemeth therefore necessary, before we proceed to a particular description of the parish and the several divisions thereof, to deduce the genealogy of that family; whereby what followeth will be better understood.

1. After the direct male line of the Lancastres, barons of Kendal, was determined on the death of William de Lancastre the third of that name; we find a bastard brother of the said William, whose name was Sir Roger de Lancastre, unto whom the said William his brother (as aforesaid) gave Barton and Patterdale. He married Philippa eldest daughter and coheir of Hugh de Bolebeck in the county of Northumberland, and died in the 19 Ed. I. leaving issue John, William, and Christopher.

2. John de Lancastre, son and heir of Roger. In the 22 Ed. I. he was summoned to attend the king into France, in his wars there. In the 25th of the said king, he was employed in an expedition against the Scots. In the 33d year of the said king, he presented John son of Sir Hugh de Lowther to the rectory of Barton. His wife's name was Amora. He died in the 8th year of king Edward the third, without issue male; and part of the inheritance went over to Sir John de Lancastre of Howgill, son of his second brother William, from whom descended the Lancastres of Howgill. From Christopher the third brother did descend the Lancasters of Sockbridge, of whom we speak.

This Christopher married Joan daughter of Sir Hugh Lowther of Lowther knight. And by her had issue,

3. Gilbert de Lancastre; whose wife's name was Elizabeth. - In the 12 Ed. 2 he levied a fine of his manor and lands in Strickland Ketel, Sockbridge, and Harteshopp.

In the 5 Ed. 3. there was an exchange of lands at Thrimby between the
prior of Watton and Sir Hugh Lowther, to which one of the witnesses was Sir Gilbert de Lancastre.

He died before his father; and left issue,

4. William de Lancastre; who married Margaret daughter of Thomas Warcop of Smerdale esquire. They had issue,

5. Thomas de Lancastre; who married Christian daughter of Hugh Salkeld of Rosgill esquire: and by her had issue William, Hugh, Robert, James, Gilbert, and Edward.

6. Sir William de Lancastre knight, son and heir of Thomas, married Margaret daughter of Sir Thomas Strickland. In the 14 Hen. 6. he was escheator on the inquisition post mortem of John duke of Bedford, grantee of the Richmond fee, parcel of the barony of Kendale. He was also sheriff of Westmorland. He had issue only a daughter, Mabel, married to Sir Hugh Lowther. He was succeeded in the intailed estate by his brother,

7. Hugh de Lancastre who married a daughter of Betsham of Betsham, and by her had issue,

8. Christopher Lancaster efquire; who married Eleanor daughter of Thomas son of Sir Richard Musgrave. They had issue 5 sons, Thomas, William, Edward, Stephen, and Nicholas: and 4 daughters, Margaret, married to John Boost of Penrith; Isabel, married to one Shipton of London; Jane, married to Christopher Lancaster of Deepdale; and Elizabeth, married to John Hodgson of Barton.

9. Thomas Lancaster esquire, son and heir of Christopher, married a Laybourne, and had issue only two daughters. He was succeeded by his brother,

10. William Lancaster esquire; who had a son,

11. Lancelot Lancaster efqoire: Which Lancelot had 3 wives. By his first wife Anne, daughter of Nicholas Harrington of Eubarhall, he had issue, (1) Edmund. (2) Elinour, married to Richard Cleyburne. (3) Anne, married to John Wharton. By his second wife, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Rookby of Morton, he had (4) Thomas. (5) George. (6) Ambrose. (7) Grace, married to James Harrington of Woolocks in Cumberland. (8) Joan, married to Thomas Dykes. By his third wife, Winifred, he had, (9) A son, whose name does not appear. (10) William, (11) Lancelot. (12) Frances, married to one Turner, (13) Francis. (14) Simon. (15) Anne. This Lancelot, in the 33 Hen. 8. was a joint purchaser of the rectory of Barton.

12. Edmund Lancaster esquire, son and heir of Lancelot, married Margaret daughter of John Middleton esquire; and was living when the pedigree was certified at an herald's vifitacica in 1575. He had issue Lancelot, Richard, Frances, and Margaret.

13. Lancelot Lancaster esquire, son and heir of Edmund. He married
Frances Tankard eldest daughter of Thomas Tankard esquire of Yorkshire, in the reign of king James the first. By indenture dated Aug. 10, in the 21st year of that king, this Lancelot, and Christopher son and heir of Richard Lancaster deceased late brother of the said Lancelot, in consideration of 489 l 9s 1d did covenant to convey, by fine or otherwise, their manor of Strickland Roger, unto Hugh Barrow of Skelsmergh and Matthew Philipson of Strickland Roger yeomen and their heirs. - This Lancelot died without issue; and was succeeded by the said Christopher as next heir, being the son of his younger brother Richard deceased: viz.

14. Christopher Lancaster esquire (of Crake-Trees); who married Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Tankard esquire, son of the above-named Thomas Tankard: By whom he had no issue male. But he left 4 daughters; (1) Frances, married to Sir Christopher Lowther of St. Bees and Whitehaven baronet, younger brother of Sir John Lowther of Lowther: This Sir Christopher paid the other sisters portions, and had the estate. (2) Elizabeth, married to William Hutton of Penrith and Gale. (3) Barbara, married to Mr. Davyes of Winder. (4) Mary, married to Mr. Highmore of Cumberland.

The arms of these Lancasters were; Argent, two bars gules, on a canton of the second a lion passant guardant Or.


II.

Having thus deduced the family of the Lancasters, which had such large
connexions with this parish, we proceed to give an account of the PARISH itself.

It is bounded (beginning at the middle of the river Eamont over against the church, and descending down the river) by the parishes of Dacre and Penrith in the county of Cumberland on the West and North, to the place where the river Lowthcr runs in. Thence, ascending the river Lowther, it is bounded on the East by the parish of Brougham up to Lowther bridge.

Thence bounded further on the East by the parishes of Clifton, Lowther, Askham, and Bampton. On the South, and again towards the West, by the parishes of Kendal and Gresmere in the barony of Kendale, and by the parishes of Crosthwaite and Greystock in Cumberland; and contains in the whole about 115 families, whereof there are only three or four dissenters.

The church is dedicated to St. MtchaeU ^nd is a vicarage, valued in the
king*3 books at 1 1 / 1 j oid & in the patronage of Sir James Ijoiwther baronet.

It was given by the aforefatd Sir Joha de Lancaflre fan of Roger to the
priory of Wartre in York&ire, to wbidi it was afterwards :q>propriated v and
xm the dtflbludon was granted by the crown to Thomas ear) of Rmlandy who
Ibid the fame to Lancc^t Lancafter afordaid and Michael Hadibn, in whofe
dependents or affignees refpeflively thi fame ftiH contioaes^

In the year 1304 (which was the gy Ed..i.) upoa the death of WiSiamJt
C§ririggcn&oi at Barton, Join the foo of Sir Hngbie Ltrmtber knight (as ia
^orefaid) was prefeoted to the fiud re£h>ry by the aforefiud Sir John de Lan^
•caftre fon of Roger. Ami upon ^Jus paironatus iilued and an inquifitton there-
4ipon taken, the jurors find, that the £ud reftory is worth cwummius arms 40/
a year, be&ks the portion whkh the prior and convent of Wartre have in the
fame, which is taated at 12/: 4nd fo they ia^, that it is poruonary, but not
{tenftoaarjr. They fiiid alfo, that Roger deLancaftre, father of the faid John,
prefented to the fame next before. They find further, that the perfon prc-
fented b free and legitimate, and that he is 14 years of age and nigh 1 5, and
jMTobably k learned as far as his age will permit, and hath the firft tonfiire.
At the next ordination, this John de Lowther was ordained Acolite. Four
years afterwards,, and before he had any other orders conferred upon himt he
was inftituted notwithftanding his minority, having a difpenfation for the &me
from popeCtoncot the fifth. Seven years after this, being then fubdeacon,
he was allowed by the bifhc^ to foltow his ftudies abroad for thrdie years*

In the year 1318, the appropriation of the church of Barton by the £tid
Sir John to the priory of Wartre was confirmed by the btfhop of Carlifle; on
condition, that the vicar have a full third of the whole reveniie and bear all
ordinary charges, the prior and convent bearing the extraordinary. And there
was z refervatioiito the bifliop of the coUadon to the vicarage. But neverthe- '
lefs, two years after this, on the refignation of the faid John de Lowther, the
btflioj^ did not collate; but the prior and convent prefented Gilbert de Sandak^
and the bifhop inftituted him thereupon, and4n the inftriament of inftitutfon
calk them the true patrons.

And two years after this, viz. in 1 322, on the refigrvition of the faid Gilbert
de Sandale, William de Elvington was inftituted on the prefentation of the faid
prior and convent,

3 F « In



^04 PARrSH OF BARTOK*

In 1335, oaWiUiatndeElvington'srefignation, the prior and convent pre*
fented one of their own canons IVilliam de Kyrkton. .

In 13459 on his refignation, John de Fenton was prefented and inftituted as
be£bre«

In X3549 on the refignation of one John de Sberborn^ the prior and convene
prefent Robtri de Ferhy, And In the fame year, on his- refignation, J^bn de
Wyftow was inftituted.

In 1 361, IViUiam de Newlcn vrsis prefented and inftituted as before.

About the year 1422, the prior and convent prefented William Spenferthe
ullerarius of their convent to the vicarage of Bfluton-*.

In 1476, Robert Wrefyl was vicar of Barton.

In 1 541, Lancelot Lancafter of Sockbridgeefquire, and Michael Hadfon of
Barton gencleman,^ purchafed (asaforefaid) the re£tory of Barton; and upon
a vacancy in 1566, there was a difpute between the (aidljancelot and George
Hudfon fon of the faid Michael concerning the prefeotation, by which it may
feem that at the time of the putchafe it had not been fettled between them
whether they (hould prefent jointly or by. turns,, or which of them fhould pre*-
fent firft. But the bifliop, on this vacancy, collated Sir John Hudlbn clerk
by lapfe, through the. default or nogleA (as is fet forth) of George Hudfoa
of. Barton gentleman, the true patron of the faid church.

In 1 58 1, Adam Abbot was admitted curate of Patrickdale in dris pariflH
on the nominatton.of the laid Sir John Hudlbn the vicar, with the appro^
bationof Edmund Lancaifter efquirc and George Hudfon gendeman, propri-
etors of, the reftory, according to a late.compromife to that purpofe.

In 1 608, on the death ot the iaid John Hudfon, Lancelot DaweSj M. A«
was inftituted, on the prefentation for this turn of: John Fetherfton gentleman ;
yet at the fame time George Hudfon clerk was. prefented by Edmund Lan^
cafterof Sockbridge and Thomas Carleton of Carleton efquires, claimants for
the fame turn. He died in 1 653, and was fucceeded.by . . .

TimSiy Roieris^, z^Vfckhmain y who was eje&ed after thi: Reftorationfor
Nonconformity.

The. male line of the Laneafters faiKng in the next generation^ the Lan-
cafter moiety of the advowfon came to Sir Chriftopher Lowther as aforefaid,
' oh his marriage with one of the daughters i and the boufe of Lowther is now
in pofleflion of the whole.

In. 1660, JebnHarrifou was prefented by^ Sir John Lowther of White-
haven.

On thetieath of Mr. Harrifon in lyo 5^ Richard Stainion clerk was inftituted
on the prefentation of the faid Sir John Lowther.

In 1734, on the death of Richard. Stamtcny Richard Jaekfin^. M. Av was
prefented by Sir James Lowther of Whitehaven baronet.

In 1738, on the death of Richard Jackfon, JVilUam Ldndfy^ M.A. was
prefented by the fame patron. <



PARISH OF BARTON. 40^

In 1753, Jofepb Wllforiy clerk, was inftitutcd on a prefentation by the fame
patron.

Ih 1759, on the death of Jofeph Wilfon, JobnCowper^ M. A. was infti-
tutcd on a prefentation by Sir James Lowther of Lowthcr baronet.

The CHURCH is a low but large building, having two rows of pillars in the
body of it. In the middle, between the body of the church and the chancel,
is a fair ftone tower, but with low, flat battlements.

Over the porch, on the outfide, curin ftone, is an efcutcheon with 3 harts
heads:

In the chancel, above the communion table^ are 5 rows of efcutcheons, 7 in
each row ; many of which are now defaced, and others perhaps only put in
fbr ornament or to fill up the number ; but amongft them were to be feen in
Mr. Machel's time the arms of Arundel, of Percy earl of Northumberland
quartering Lucy, of Dacre, Lowther,. Lancafter, Strickland, Threlkeld, Ma-
chel; Moreft)y, Orphcur, Crackenthorp.

Upon a brafs plate in the chancel is the following infcriptiOn :

" Hie jacet Francifca Dawes, filia Thomae Flecher de Strickland, armigeri,
*« natu maxima; perquam charifllma quidem et perdilefta uxor Lanceloii
'^ Dawes de Barton-Kirke, generofi. Quas huic mundo, fpe multo melioris^
    • 23** Feb. valedixit: Anno setatis fuse 23. Annoque D"| 1673,

" Under this ftone, reader, intend doth lye

" Beauty and virtue's true epitomy.
*^ At her appearance the noone-fon

^* Blufh'^d and fhrunk in 'caufe quite outdon.
    • In her concenter'd did all graces dwell :

" God pluck'd my rofe, that he might take a fmcl.
'• ril fay no more : But weeping wilh I may

^^ Soone with thy dear chafte afties com to lay.
" Sic efflcvit maritus."

Towards the eaft end of the fouth ile, near to the chance], is a grave ftone
with a fillet of brafs infcribed, *' Here lyeth William Lancafter fon of Chril-
*• topher : On whofe foul Jefu have mercy." — Probably the fame William as
aboveatN^ro.

Oppofite to this are painted the arms of Stapleton impaling a defaced coat,'
and the arms of Lancafter.

On the fouth fide is an ile, which has been divided into two ; in the lower
of which, now belonging to Winder, is a monument infcribed WD, for
William Davyes, who was buried here in 1674.

On the north fide of the quire and of part of the body of the church is the
I^ancafter ile, formerly the burial place of the Lancafters of Sockbridge.

The VICARAGE HOUSE, about 200 yards from the church, is an handibme
building, crefted in 1637 by Dn Lancelot Dawes vicar of this parilb^ who

waft'



^eft PARISH OF BARTON,

was alfo re£tor of Aiby, and prebendary oi Carliilc. He was bom m Ais
parifh, educated at Queen's college in Oxford where he was fellow, and after-
WBfds took the degree of do£tor of divtnify in one of the Scotch ^niverfitics.

The faid Dr. Dawes purchased the Hudlbn motety of the itftorial tithes i
which defcended to his nephew Thomas Dawes ; whofe fon JLancelot fold part
thereof (viz^ the tithes of High Barton) to his brother John, who fold the
fame to Edward Hafiel efquire. The other part (viz* the tithes of Yanwath
and Bridge, Patterdale, and Martindale) the faid Thomas Dawes ibid to Tho-
mas Whelpdale efquire, who fold the tithes of Patterdale to Mr. George
Mounfey, and the reft remain to his daughter Elizabeth married to John Ri-
chardiba ciquire during her life, and after her deceafe to her children.

There is zpa^n of 61 ayear paid to the bifiiop out of this-reftory by the
impropriator^u

The hofpical of St. Leonard York had two carucates of land in Bart nbevei
(the fame probably which is now called High Barton).

Belonging to this parifli is a dfority of 200 A bequeathed by die will of Mrs.
Dudley of Yahewith % half of the yearly intereft of which (he fettled as an
augmentation of the vicar*s ialary, the other half to be diftributed amongft the
poor.

The SCHOOL at Barton was founded by Gerard Langbaine, D. D. provoft of
<^een's college in Oxford, a native of this pariih, and the aforefaid Dr. Lan-
celot Dawes, in the year 1649.

Dr. Langbaine gave to it 3a/. He aUb purchaled an eftate at Culgaith of
the then value of ao/ a year ; 10/ whereof were to go to bind out two ap«
prentices within Barton parifli, the reft to the ufe of the fchooh

Dr. Dawes gave 25/^ and alfo aoi yearly to the faid fchool^ out of the tithes
of the eftate called Barton-kirk.

Dr. Adam Airey, principal (^ Edmund HaU in Oxford and native alfo c^
thispari(b, gave the intereft of lOo/.

And the parifhioners contributed ( befides their labour) 46 1 6s Sdy to be ap*
plied towards building of the fchool, and the intereft of what remained to go
  • to the ufe of the fchoolmafter.

And they entered into an agreement in writing amongft themfelves, in or^
der to prevent confufion, that the feven men named in the (aid agreement and
their heirs fucceilively ihouki be governors of the fchool, viz. Mr. Lancelot
Dawes, Mr. Francis Siflbn, Mr. William Davis, Stephen Mounfey, William
Smith, Lancelot Smith, and William Langbaine.

Yet in the year 1675 we find thefe governors. Sir John Lowther of Sock-
bridge baronet. Sir John Lowther of Lowther baronet, Daniel Fleming of
Rydal elboire, John Harriibn vicar of Barton i William Dawes fenior, Theo-
doras Siflon,. WiUiam Smith fenior of Bowerbank, George Mounfey fenior,

Thomas



PARISH OF BARtON.

Thomas Winter, gentlemen; William Smith of Potflioafcale, WHliamSiffon
•f Croftormount, and William Smith of Brow, yeomen ••

Finally, Dr. William Lancafter, provoft of Queen's college aforefaid, (a
native alfo of this parifh) added a further augmentation to the fchoolmafter's
felary -j-v

III.

Concerning the manor of Barton *y we find feveral of old time of the name
de Barton^ who feem te have been a confiderable family in this parifh, but not
lords of any of the manors that we can find.

In the 15 Ed. 2. Robert de Barton wasoneof the jurors upon the inquifition?
on the forfeiture of Roger lord Clifford.

And in the 19 Ed. 1. Robert de Barton was knight of the (hire for Well«
morland.

And there was a family of Bartons at Ormftead ; whofe arms were, Azure^
a bend within 3 harts heads Or \ which ieems to argue that they fprung from
Hartfop in this parifli.

The lords of this tnanor of very old \\mt were the Lancafbrrs barons of
Kendal \ one branch c^ which family (as we have Ihewed) fettled at Sock«
bridge. But the manor of Barton went out of the name of Lancafter, to the
Multons of Gilfland. With the heireis of Gilfland it came to the Dacres.

Thus in the 36 Ed 3* by an inquifition after the death of Margaret de Dacre
(who was the faid heirefs) the jurors find, that the faid Margaret held^ toige-
ther with Ralph de Dacre her hufband^ the manor of Barton.

And fo it defcended, tog/ether with the caftle and manor of Dacre, nv the
eldeft hereditary line of the Dacres until the reign of king Chiles the fecond,
when Barbara and Anne daughters and coheirs of Thomas earl of Suflex fold'
the fame to Sir Chriftopher Mufgrave of Edenhall baronet^ who again fold the
&me to Edward HafTel efquire the prefent owner.

In the 17th year of king John, William de Lancaftfe, bsrcttii^f Kendal,
obtained a grant of a market at Barton X*



IV.

A confiderable part c^ Ui.i:eswater, from the middle eaftward^ is withia
>be manor of Bartom It has its name probablj^ from UJf^ a name frequent in
okl time : Lyulf (VUlf) was the firft baron of Grayftock, to whom tbk kke
did belong. It is a large mere of 7 or 8 miles in length, and of a great breaNlltk
end depth, wherein is great ftore of fiSi ; as pefcfa, troecs, g|*ey tpoitts (Ibme
very large, even a yard long, and thick in proportion), pikes, cafe, ckars^
eels,, and ficellies. Divers perfons have filheries therein, for which ^faey pay
yearly a quitrrent.

^ Machel. f Todd. % Denton.

The



407



4o« PARISH OF BARTON. (Ui.lkswater.)

The water which Supplies this lake^ at its higheft fource, fprings at Kitk-
fton*fell in the manor of Hartfop. Thence it runs, on the eaft (ide of Hartfop-
hall, into a lough about a quarter of a mile over called Broad-water, bearing
the name of Hartfop beck till it comes there ^ and further (after having re-
ceived Haifwatcr^ till it be out of Hartfop lordftiip. Then it receives Deep-
dale beck, which comes caftward into it, and fome other rills, and from thence
carries the name of Deepdale beck till it comes to Goldrel bridge near Pat-
terdale chapel, where Grifedale beck comes in from the weft, and there it re-
ceives the name of Eamont. Thence it runs northward about a quarter of a
mile into this great lake. In the courfe of which lake there are three remark-
able iflands; i. Cherry ifland, fo called from a cherry tree anciently growing
there, diftant from the head of UUefwater about a mile and a half. 2. Wall*
holme, over againft Stybarrow -, fo called from its having been anciently walled
about; diftant from Cherry ifland ^ix>ut 4:wo bowlhots. 3« Houfe-holme,
about a quarter of a mile below ; fo called probably from fome houfe thereon
formerly. From hence the water turns in a bow above two miles to a crag
near How-Down. TJience dire£lly north-weft to Dun-Mallard, 3 miles in
length, and in breadth near one mile. And there the lake ending, the river
Tc-aflumes its name; and lb running by Sockbridge, Yanwath, Brougham
caftle, and. Hornby, it empties itfelf into the ri^erEdeo*

V.

At the head of the faid water, above Patterdale, lies the manor of Hart-
SQP, probably fo denominated from abounding with deer anciently.

Hartfop hall) the ancient manor houfe, is a little old building, wherein
here is nothing very remarkable, fave that in the parlour in the plaifter there
is an efcutcheon of three harts heads caboftied, the fame as over the porch at
Barton church *. Which are undoubtedly the arms of the family that this
place belonged to, which probably ended in a daughter married into the Lan-
cafter family; for theie arms are .quartered iwith the Lancafters of Sockbridge
at Sockbridge hall.

Hartfop is of the marquis fee, parcel of the barony of Kendal aforcfaid.
Thus amongft the efcheats in the laEliz. it is found, that the manors of
Hartfop and Strickland Roger, Ladyford, and certain lands in Skelfmcrgh,
were holden of the marquis of Northampton in focage, and by the yearly rent
of 26 J Sdj by Edmund Lancafter. And in the 15 Ja. after the death of the
faid Edmund,- the inquifition finds, that he died feifed of the premiflcs, holden
as aforefaid, and that Lancelot Lancafter was a fon and heir, being then of
full age.

There is fine blue flate got here ; which may be tranfmitted into the country
by boats down UUefwater.

A mile from Hartfop hall is Jifdaky where is a tarn caUed Haifwater, which
i^ords trouts, fkeUies, and eels.

• Machel.

VL



PARISiH pF.JARJON. (PxTTBaDAtE,) 45.9

VI.

Dcfccnding by the water from Hartfop, we come to Patterdale, Jo called
|)robably from St. Ptf/m*,..to,whomjbfti:Hapel fecms ta be dedicated. Foe
in the bifhop's regifter it is called Patrickdale^ on the admifljon of Adam Abbot
to be curate as aforefaid. And nigh unto the chapel is a well called St. Pa-
trick's well.

This dale is alfo part of the ancient barony of Kendal. And in the 3 1 Hen. 3.
William de Lancaftre infeofied the aforefaid Roger de Lancaftrc in 209 acres
of his demefne land in Patricdale ^drth yearly 4/, one miln .worth 6q^ and
herbage and pannage worth 14J, and tlje rent of fr^ee' tenants td die valufi of
29 J lod. The faifd Roger had alfo the fcrvice of Gilbert de Ltocaftre, who
held by knights fervice by the tenth part- of one knight's fe6; aiid the fer-
vice of Walter de Lancaftre, who held alfo by the tenth part of one knight's
fee. The faid William afterwards gave to the faid Roger the whole foreft of
Wcftmorland; except Fiufd^le, and.SwartfcU, and the head of Marcind^e,
which the Taid Ro^er had by a former grant. ^ . ' >

The chapel is about ten, miles fouth-weft from the pari fh thurch.. It hath
about ten acres of glebe land worth about 8/ a year^ and one third part of
the tithes of Pattei'dale, worth about 8 /-a year more-, and the intcrcft of 200/
alloted to this chapel by the governors of queen Anne's bouhty in the year
1743, and not yet laid out in a purcfaafe of lands. Out of this revcnwjhere,
is a dcduftion of 4/ a yearpkid to the vicar bf the parifli, who ia pblig(r^ tO;
preach in the chapel four* times a year 5 and 6s yearly to ,thc it;ftor of
Grayftock. - . .

The i&^// belongs to Mr. John Mounfcy, whdfe anceftors purchafeJ the fame
>^ of the Threlkcids in whom it had continued for many generations. This Mr..
^ Moupfey and his forefathers for time in)memorial have been called kings of
Patterdale, living as it were in another world, and having' no dnc ncir thcm
greater than themfelves. The hall is an handfome little houfe, with a court
and orchard, and terras walk at the door, from whence the afcent to the houfe
is by fevcral fteps. It fronts to the chapel towards the fouth. On the weft
fide of it are vaft rocks and mountains.

North from the hall is a little gill called Gtenridden ; from the Scotch word
glen which fignifies'a gill or hollow, and Ridden the name of the river which
runs there with a precipitate courfe into UUefwater.

Near to Glenridden lieth Gkncune^ a little farther to the north 1 as much as
to fay, a glen in a corner ; cune^ coyn^ or corner, being one and the fame
thing.

Nigh the chapel, towards the weft, lies a little hollow or gill, which
they call Crifedakj and the tenants there (who are only about 8 or 10) arc
called in the court rolls as of the foreft of Grifedale. Grife is a common name
for fwine, and it may well fcem to have taken its name from being frequented
by wild boars, which arc beafts of the foreft. Unto which, the large rock
czWcd Siybarrow^ on the weft fide of UUefwater, may have fome allufion. — And
Vol. I. 3 G perhaps



410 k'ARrSH OF tAltf OV. .(?Ai4rtAOA<B.)

perhaps there have been deer alfo in this dale ; for there is a place in it called
Glmara Park. — In the head of the dale, is a rocky mountain called Eagles-
€r» i and eagles to this day frequent and breed in the mountains thereabouts.

Higher up, about a mile fouth from the chapel, isBe^Aikt fo c^aUcd from
its fituatioD V where there are about ten famiioa^ «h6 Jbokl of Gf ayftock caftk
in Cumberland. . - j

VII.

MkitriNOALi is b deBominated probably from mother ^ciea of beails of
senary, namely, the martefn^ valuable fox its fun Manwoo^i ia his Treatife
on the Foneft Ijiws, which wta fifft publifhed Jo the reign of aueen Elizabeth,
^aki^g of the iciarterb» fays, of tbeie we have noj^eat number in tbeforefts
on the fouch fide of Trent, but yet in the county oJTWcftmorland in Marten*
date there ave maiiy. This place ia feparatcd from Patterdak by an high hill
called Bonntale ^probably from the likecaufe).

In t^ib icntal of 'quffcn Katharine's eftate in the barony of Kendal in the
28 Cha. 2. the tenants in Borebank 4iear UUeiwater' ftaod charged with a rent
oir III 10^ oiof the marquis fee.

Manindaie hoa a imaU ebitpH. aboMt 5 miles diftant from the church to-
walda the ibmii-trteft. The Moient endowment whereof is 2/ 15 x 4^/ yearly
paid by the infaaidtama. In J^6^, Kichard fiirkec, curate there, left by bis
^in io#/t»«hi8 chapd, >in the hmda of 4truftees» and as thefe die away,
others are to be ckollirn. 4if the furvivoriS: ^^ whereof were added to an aug^
liMntfiitioii of 200/by lotigivfa by the govexiiora of queen Anne*s bounty^
and an eftate purchafed therewith m Martindale; and the other 50/ remain io
ifie ha^ids of the cruftees* The curate has a Jittk houfe alfo, with about 4
aoFes of land* The wjiole revenue of the chapel amounts ac prefent to 17 / a
yeai^

Mr. MacM, wbofe account ^aa iaken about 100 years ^gp, fays, that the
Gumtt is always put in by the vicar's appointment, ^r by his ^probation.

But amonm the Efcheats in the 39 Eliz. it is found, that Anthony Tatts
ytvtxiwx m» feilcd, in the bailiwick and chapclry of Martindale within the ba-
rony of Barton, of all the tithes there, tc^ther with the title of donation and
Domftiacion of the ftipendiary prieft in the chapel of Martindale, which hepur-
dbafed of £dwavd Stadbope eiquire in the 35 Eliz. and which the iaid Edward
Stanhope purchafed of Robecc Cheyney gentleman and Winifred his wife and
0lher# in the MElis. And in the 10 Cha. u it was founds that William
Bcilher died ieitedof two^ parts in fhree to be divided of the faid tithes, do-
nation, and nomination ; and that Anne wife of John Davis was his daughter
and liar.

The manor, Jike as of Barton» came from the Multons by marriage to the
Dacftss ^wd now by purchaie belapgs to the aforefaid Edward HafTel efquire.

N«ve is a kind of forefl;, repi(H)i(hed with red and fallow deer^ and there

are tenMts wjio are bound to aOift the lord in burning and turning the red deer

on the tc^ of the mouataiiis to the forcft^ whom they cnUJlronesi and they

3 have



P:AAIS^ItO? BAJLTOt^ i^H^wp^L^^ ^il

have fbr their fMitii Sil for tMrjr foor of kbotniO $k or oth«r liquor. Ti^y
are to appetv- upyBii iammoiiM aod if they jdQ npc, thqr aii^ finable for It at
the court baron ♦.

There hath anciently been a family d€ Martindak (and there are mdny yet
of the name): Their arms were; Argeifi:, abendAzure, 2 bars Gules.

  • . *■■• • . . .

. VIIL ' ' '-â– â– ',

Pootfy, «viij#ge at; the loot of XJUcfwater, takcth its n?tme trndoaAtc^Bf
fi-om that gr^c ft^\ or lake, ft is p)ea&ndy Ctu^te ; hayings beddes |!fae enx-
belU(h9^BC$ of .^9od and water, a great acceflion of beauty n^otn DuH-mllard
bill (fo.cafled frofia thercfo'rt or wild fowl thiiher from the l«ke) qn the op^
polite fide of th^ water in the county of Cumberland, belonging to the afore^
faid Edward Haflel efquire^ who hath a fair eftate near adjoining. Unto thi^
biU Pooley Is ooAoc^tcd by anhaodfome fioBe bridge lately ereAed^ where an«
cid^tly was only a ftaak for. ftopping thew^ter for the fake of fifhing* and a
paflage oa the furfaoe 0^ the (lank.i.

Here jfirpniis to h9^f been formerly a fmall market fy^ lilh. There is yet a
fair Hone crofs, with fteps or feacs about it^ on thd top of which are the Dacres
arms. This crofs was repaired by the earl of Suflex, as appears by this in*
fcription on the weathercock, " Thomas earlc of Suflex, May 2, 1679."

The village contains about ten families; moft of whom purchafed their
tenements to freehold of the earl of Suflex about a century ago.

IX.

The manor of Socksridce CDotains m it the hamlets of BockM^e^ 7i»eJ^
mndSlvr^. . ,.- '

The vin^ of SocMHd^e lies weft ftom the churtb, Mi contwu abotit tg
famines. 'Hie tenants pufchafed themfeivts free df 9ir |olita LowtbeT <of Sodk*
bridge, as did alfo tbofe of ThreJ and Tborp.

Here was born the aforefaid Dr. Lancafter^ vicar of St. Martin's 10 the
Fields, and provoftof Queen's. cpUege in Oxford, to which college he was t
great benefa^or. He was fomettme fthoolrmtller at BantoA, before his ad-
miflion into the faid college^

Sockbridse hall (lands nordi from the river Eamoi^t about a bow-flriic, and
as much eait from the village of Sockbridge. It is ift * low fkuation, there
being three defcents into the court-yard, before you enter the hall. It is built
quadrangular. And over the hall-door is a flender old tower.

On the ceiling, in plaifter work, in the old dining room, are the arms of
Lancafter quartering Harcfop ; and impaling Tankard, viz. a eheveron diarg^
with 3 annulets between three efcalops; and another ooat| viz. ^ cheveron
charged with three fk)wer-dc-lis.

• Machd,
3 G 2 Tirreh



414 PARISH OP BARTON*. (Socu&ioob;}

TVm/, a little fouth-eaft from Sockbridge^ coniaiiis about ten families.
And the village of Tbarp i$ a little, weft from.Sockhridge^ and contains^
about 4 or 5 fatnilies.

.X. . . .

The hamlet of fTinder (fo called perhaps from its height and expofure) is
part of it in the manor of Sockbridge, and part in Barton* It is diftinguUhed
imo Hish and Low Winder (but both of them, high enough).

Winder is of the Marquis Fee, parcel of the barony of Kendal. Amongft
the Efcheats in the ip Ja. it is found by inqoiHtion, that Lancelot Davies dicd^
feiJfed of one capital mefluage called Low Winder, and 4 mefluages and tene-
ments in Low Winder, and one meiTuage at Borebank, hoklen of the king as-
of his caftle of Kendal, by knight*s fi:rvice. And the like is found in the 1 3.
Cha. after the death of John Davies. *

In like manner amongft the Efcheats in the 10 Cha. William Siflbn is found
by inquifition to have holder! in High Winder one capita) meflfuage called Scl-
leron, and 6 other mefluages and lands, of the king as of his manor of Ken-^
dal called the Marquis Fee^ which faid premifics thefaid William Stffon pur-
chafed of Edward Lancafter and Lancelot Lancafter.



XI.

A little below Sockbridge, on the fame fide of the river Eamont, is Yai^
WITH or Yanwath (perhaps fo called from fome watb or ford there, by way.
of diftinftion from the village called'the Bridge a little below)^

This, is the only manor within this large parifh of Barton, that appears. to
have been held under the Cliffords lords of Weftmorland •, and confequcntiy
aM the reft of the parifh feems to have confiituted no part of the barony 0^
Weftmorlandf. but to haiie been pari of the large barony of Kendale, even all
that which belonged to the Lancailers as aforefaid.

In the 8 Ed. 2. after the death of Robert lord Clifford,. Ralph fon of Wil-
liam baron of. Grayftock held the manor of Yanewith.
- In the 10 He^n^ 5., Jol\n de Grayftock held the manor of Yevenwith" by the
cornage of 8s 6d.

In the 4 Ed. 4. Ralph baroi} of Grayftock held the fame.. That is to fay,
ihcfe Grayftocks held the fj^n^e of the Cliffords, as mcfoe or intermediate lords ^
for others at the fame time held the fame of the Grayftocks : one moiety
thereof being holden by the TbrelkeUs^^ and the other by the Lancafters.

So early as the reign of king Edward the firft^. Henry Tb'reUeld obtained a
grant of free warren in the manor of Yanwiih^ . And in the 40 Ed. 3. ff^il/iam
ihrelkeld paid a relief, for a moiexy of Eanwath, wbiQh he held; of the barony
of Grayftock.

In the reign of king Henry the fixth, the LancaJTer moiety came alfo to the
fhrdke/ds. for in the 6th year of that king, the four daughters and coheir^.

of:



PARISH OF BARTON. (Yakwith and BjiidgeO 413

of Sir John de Lancafter of HowgiU, in confideration of the fum of 20/ paid
to each of them, fold to Sir Henry fbrelkeldVuiight a moiety of the manor of
Yanwith* The laft of which name was Sir Lancelot Threlke/d'oF Threlkeld in
Cumberland, fon of that Sir Lancelot ^ho married the heirefs Vefcy widow
of John lord Clifford in the reign of king Edward the fourth. He died with-
out iflfue male, leaving three daughters coheirs.— •The arms of Threlkeld
were V Argent, a manch Gules.

Grace^ one of the faid daughters, was married to Thomas Dudley^ of a
younger branch of a family of Dudleys in. the Touch,, and with her he had the
manor of Yanwath. He had iflue,

Ricbard Dudley^ who married Dorothy, daughter of Edmund Sandford of
Afkham efquire i and by her had iflbe..

Edmund Dudlg^ who married Catherine daughter and ct>heir of Cuthbert
Hoton of Hoton John efquire (Sandford of Afkham, and Huddlcfton, mar>-
rying the other two coheirs). He had iflfue, Richard, a prieft : Thomas, who
fucceeded him : John a lawyer,, who married the baftard daughter of Sir
Cbriftophec Pickering,, who was afterwards married to Cyprian Hilton of Bur-
ton efquire v Another fon^ called Henry *, and fix daughters.

Thomas Dudley^ fon of Edmund, married a daughter of Middleton of Car-
lifle *, and bad iflfue, Edmund who died without iflue» Chriftopher, Mary,
and Catharine.

Chriftopher Dudley^ fon of Thomas, married fir(t Elizabeth daughter of
bi(hop Snowden ; to his fecond wife he married Agnes daughter of Daniel.
Fleming of Skirwith gentleman, by whom he had a daughter Mary who died
young. And having no iflfue furviving, he fold the manor of Yanwath and
Eamont-bridge to Sir John. Lowther baronet about the year 1654, in whofe
pofterity it ftill continues.

The arms of thefe Dudleys were 5 Or, a lion rampant with his tail forked
Vert, lingucd and armed Gules. (^Mth a crefcent;)

The village^of Zanwaib contains about 12 families, moftof them cuffomary
tenants, doing fuit and fcrvice of court at Yanwath hall.

The faid hall (lands at the north end of the village, a little on the weft fide
of it, on a high bank by the river Eamont. It is quadrangular; hath an
agreeable profpe(5t ) and at a diftance hath the appearance of a fmall caftle.
Over the gaie there hath been a chapel. And at the fouth corner there hath
been an handfome tower, with turrets and battlements.

About a mile fouth from the hall, at the end of Yanwath wood, oppofite to»
Lowther hall, is an ancient round fortification, « called, C^/f Sleads.

Eamont bridge is a fmall village, containing about i^ families, moft of them
eultomary tenants It is fo called from a fair ftone bridge over the rivrr Ea*
niont; deriving its name from two Saxon words, e^ which figni6es water;
and munt^ a hiil or mountain : this river defcending from a moll remarkably
mountainous country.

In the reign of king Hen. 6. there feems to have been a general contribution^
tpwanls the building, or perhaps rathec rebuilding of this, bridge:. , In . the re^

giftcrr



4J4 3»ARISH OP BAltTON. {YANWint afid Brim^)

giftcr of Thomas Lfanglcy bifhop of Durhim (in tfic pofleflton of tbe dean
and chapter o( Durham), who t^as alfo iord chancellor, and cardinal, and (as
it feemcth) the pope's legate, there is an indulgence of 40 days, to any of
his diocefe, or of other diocefes, whofe diocefans mould confirm the £ime, who
(hould contribute towards the building of this bridge *•

Near this vill, are two curious monuments of antiquity. One on die loath
fide thereof, called Mayhrcu^b cafiU^ almofl: in the fliape of an faorle lhoe» hav»
iqg the entrance on the eaft fide leading into an area 88 yards in diameter. It
hath confiRed of one fingle rampier of ftones, of which the rubbifli now lies
jooTe in ruinst partly grown over with wood. Many of the larger ftones were
taken away in the reign of king Hen. 6. for the repairing of Pcnrttfocaftle.
Near the middle^ towards the weftern part, is a large ftone, upwards <^ three
yards in height : formerly, there have been fcveral others. It feenis to have
been, like many other circular inclofurcs, a place of worfiiip in the times of
the ancient Druids.

The other is at the fouth-eaft end of the village, by the way fide on the left
hand in going to Penrith, called the Round table \ being a round trench, with
two entrances oppofite to each other at the fouth and north. The diameter of
the circle within the ring is about 120 ieet. It feems to have been a juftiog-
place. The country people call it king Arthur's round table. And perhaps
.she knightSj after jufting and exercife, might dine here.



PARISH OF CLIFTON.

/"^LiFTON is faid to have been fo called from two very remarkable cl^s above
^^ which ii ftands, on the eaft iidc of the river Lowther ; one, of hand ftone
like marble, about half a mile fouth- weft from the church ; the other, of a
fine free ftone» about half a mile weft from the church, and is called Cat-fear^
from a number of wild cats frequenting that place formerly.

The parifh is bounded on the north and eaft by the parifh of Brougham, on
the fouth by the parifli of Lowther, and on the weft by Yanwath in the pariih

• Upiverfia fafn^ae malris eccleiias fi]it$» ad quos praefcntes litcrac pervcncrint, Thomas peronC-
fione divina Dunelmenns cpifcopu?, falutem in omnium falvatore. Inter caeeera opera pictaiii^ cod«
ftruftioni pontiom, viarunv, et calcetoram fobrnilrc, ex qeibus folutiB ct difruptis fcu coaTraafa
eveniunc frequenter difpendia corporamy et ^ricula animarum, opus caritaiivum non modicutn
tejjstamos. De Dei igttur omnipotentis imiDeRfa jnifericordia ac beattiiros virginis Maris matris
fu», ac beatorum Petri ct Pauli apoftolorum eius, ct fanfti Cuthberti patroni noftri confriibris jJo-
riofi, onriniumqac ranflorum mentis ct precious oonfidentes» omaibus parocManis ix>aris, et aliis
quorum dioce(ani banc noftram indulgcntiam ratam habuerint, de peccatis iuis vcre pOBniteotibus,
contrttisi et confefiis, qui ad conArudtioncm laovi pontis lapidei Toper et de ultra aquam de Amot in
parochia de Penreth Karliolenfis diocefcos aliqua de bonis fibi a Deo collatis grata contulerinr, fen
quovis roodo aflignavcrint fubfidia caritati?, quadraginta diet indulgentiae concedimos per prasfertei
pro noftro bencplacito duraturas: Daias apud mancrium w)ftrttm At Aoklaad qointo die Aprilis
Anno Domini 1^125, ct n«ft«e ccniecrationii 19,

of



PARISH OF CtlFTON.

of Bmon (from which it is feparated by the river Lowtfaer) s and contaios
about 42 families, 5 whereof are diflenters.

The church is doiicaced to St. Cuthbert ; or as ibme fay, to St. Nicholas.

Theparijb and manor are commenfurate (for ic contains but one manor). Ic
is a reAory, valued in the king's books at 8/ 3^ 4^, and is in the patronage of
the biJhop of Carlifle.

In the year 1305, bkhop Hakofi collated Mr. Peter TillioU to the vaeaoc
re6tory of Clifton : faving to the prior and convent of Wartre the accu(tomed
yearly penfion of one mark. — ^Vvhen this penfion was given, the fmtilAefs of
the pari(h (rendered more tncon(iderable by the incurfions of the Scots) pro<^
bably faved it from a total appropriation, as in feveral other like ctfins; whereas
the large ones fekk>m efeaped, iuch as Kendal, Kirkby Lonfijale^ Kirkby Ste-
phen, Brough, St. £iaureace*s and St. Michael's Appleby, Morlaod ^sd BartOQ»
which laft was appropriated to this fame priory of Wartre.

In 1314, on the refignation of HimyJeCarJiol^ reftor of CliflOfi, T* deC^l^
debeck was collated by the fame bifliop.

In 13x7, on his refignation, the faid bifiiop Haltpn collated Wilimm di Riih^
teton^ who was not ordained deacon till four years after.
' In 1354, Thomas de Satkeld was ootlated by otAop Wekoa.

In 1359, Pefer de Morland was reftor of Clifton.

In 1376, Rohri de MerUn^ reftorof Clifton, refigoed in ocder to an ex-
diange with the reftor of Newbiggin % whereupon Jolm di Mirton w$fi qq\-
ktcd by bifhop Appleby.

In X465, on the refignation of Thomas fyrty Sir Richard Show was collated
by bifliop Scroop.

In 1566, on the death of Sir Thomas Etkriom oe£br <^ Clifton, John Wf^
herghf M. A. was inftituted by -bifliop Soft, on a prefentation by Tboaift;^
Carleton gentleman and Thomas Wilfon yeoman, who claimed as aOignce^
under a grant made by bifbop Oglethorp.

In 1^3, on the death of John Wybergh, Edward Mapkii^ M. A. ^WIf
collated by bifliop May.

' In 1632, on the death of John Fiotchor icclKu* of CUftOB, Raitrt Symfims
M. A. was cdhkted by bi(hop Potter.

In 1634, on the ceffion of Mr. Robert Symfba to Bongate, John Winter^
M. A. was collated by the fame biSiop : He wasejefted by CromweU*s const-
miflioners, but outlived the ftorm, and was reftorod b 1660.

In 1668, on the death of John Winter, Rowland Burrowesy B. A* was qoji*
lated by bflhop Rainbow.

In 1707, on the death of Rowland Bucrowes, Jeromah Seod was collated bjr
bilhop Smith.

In 1722, on Mr. Seed*s death, Jeffrey Bownefsy B. A. was collated by bilbop
Bradford.

In 1735, on the death of Mr. Bownefs, Curwen Huddlefton^ M. A. was col*
. lated by biftxop Fleming.

In 17^9, on the refignation of Curwen Huddkfton, Wilfrid Huddl^m%
B. A. was collated by biihop Law.

The



^}}
"



pp611-612


"Next we come to a pedigree certified at Dugdale's Visitation in 1664. Which pedigree nevertheless, although it consisted only of 6 generations, seems (as most of the other Heraldic pedigrees when compared with the inquisitions post mortem and other authentic documents) to be very imperfect. However the pedigree such as it is runs thus:

1. Christopher Helton of Burton esquire, in the reign of Ed. 4. married Margaret daughter of Thomas Marshall of Kirk Oswald: And had issue,
2. Richard Helton of Burton esquire; who married Isabel daughter of John Barton of Ormeshead esquire: And had issue,
3. Andrew Helton of Burton esquire who married Alice daughter of John Aglionby of Carlisle; and by her had issue (1) John (2) Winifred, married to Leonard Musgrave of Johnby in Cumberland. (3) Julian, married to an Irish lord and afterwards to a sea captain.
4. John Hilton of Burton esquire, son and heir of Andrew, married Mary daughter and coheir of Saxton of Byham hall in Essex; and died about the year 1630. He had issue, (1) Cyprian, (2) George who married Jane daughter of Fletcher of Dovenby in Cumberland. (3) Johan, who died unmarried.
5. Cyprian Hilton of Burton esquire, son and heir of John, married Frances daughter and sole heir [So says the pedigree but she was bastard daughter of Sir Christopher Pickering, who having no other child, and never having been married, gave to his said daughter the manor of Ormeshead. Her mother's name was Todhunier, Sir Christopher's milkmaid at Threlkeld. The said Frances was first married to John Dudley a lawyer, to whom she had no issue. (Flem.)] of Sir Christopher Pickering of Ormeshead, and with her had the manor of Ormeshead. He died in 1649; and had issue, (1) Christopher. (2) John Hilton of Stanemore, who married Isabel daughter of John Farer of Warcop Tower. (3) Andrew, who died without issue. (4) Mary, married to William Farer of Warcop Tower.
6. Christopher Hilton of Ormeshead esquire, son and heir of Cyprian, married Barbara daughter of Thomas Brathwaite of Warcop esquire; and was of the age of 36 at the aforesaid visitation. - So far the pedigree."


p613


"And in the 29 Hen. 8. [1537] there is a release from Isabella Hylton, widow of Richard Hylton of Burton, to Thomas Hylton gentleman son and heir of the late Robert Hylton of Burton gentleman, of her right in certain lands descended to her from her brother Robert Barton of Ormeshead gentleman."